The Newport International Boat Show (NIBS) will take place September 15-18 on America’s Cup Avenue and Commercial Wharf in Newport, Rhode Island. The beautiful harbor, known for its world class boating, draws thousands annually to this premier show that covers 14 acres and has become known for new boat and gear debuts.
- When: September 15 – 18, 2022
- Where: Newport, RH
- Parking: $40 per vehicle (Easton Beach)
- General admission: $40 First day; $28 After the first day; FREE for Children 12 and under
- SPECIAL PRICE: $18 for Newport County residents and military personnel Friday, September 16.
- Get to the Show by Boat: Book here
For more information on new boats and boating gear to expect and fun things to do at the show, read on!
Book a Boat Rental to Enhance Your Newport Boat Show Experience
What’s new: Boats and gear
The Newport Boat Show has been running for over half a century and this year you can expect to see wares from over 500 exhibitors as well as hundreds of new boats 15-90 feet. Check out models from US and international builders like:
- HH Catamarans
NIBS is one of the largest in-water shows in the world and kicks off the 2022-2023 boat show season with power and sailboats, accessories, equipment, electronics, marine services, boat financing companies, gear, and more.
Things to do
NIBS is for skill building as well as for shopping, so plan to attend more than one day to get the most of your Rhode Island exerience. Show attendees can look forward to seminars, exhibitions, and boating experiences for everyone.
- Take the helm with the Narragansett Sailing School, which will highlight beginner, intermediate, and women-only sailing classes.
- Learn to dock and operate powerboats with Freedom Boat Club.
- Visit the iconic Maiden at Bannister’s Wharf. The boat competed in the 1989-1990 Whitbread Around the World race with an all-female crew skippered by Tracy Edwards. Today, the 58-foot Maiden is an ambassador for the education of girls.
- Nearby the harbor is the Sailing Museum home of the National Sailing Hall of Fame and America’s Cup Hall of Fame. Show attendees can show their wristbands for a 25% discount on the cost of admission to the museum.
Places to eat and drink near the show
Dozens of iconic restaurants dot the waterfront at the harbor, presenting a variety of options to grab a bite to eat before, during or after the show.
- Reservations: Encouraged
- Hours: 11:30 am – 4 pm; 5pm – 10:30 pm (on Fri/Sat closes at 11pm)
- Dockage: Yes
- Reservations: Encouraged (Opentable.com)
- Hours: 10 am – 10 pm
- Dockage: Yes
- Reservations: Available (See Reservation policy)
- Hours: 5 pm – 9 pm (open as early as 4 pm on weekends)
- Dockage: No
- Fun fact: Established in 1673, today the White Horse Tavern stands as our nation’s oldest operating restaurant!
Check out Newport for New Products (NFNP)
The Newport for New Products (NFNP) program highlights all new boats and products at the show. Judged by a team of marine industry journalists, the program chooses winners in numerous categories. Also, attendees present on opening day will have the opportunity to cast a vote for their favorite boat as part of the People’s Choice Award!
Parking and tickets
Parking will be available at Easton Beach for $40 per vehicle. A pass can be purchased onsite or online in advance. From the beach, shuttle service to the show is complimentary and will run 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. Alternately, the Jamestown and Providence ferries will run to and from Perrotti Park, which is walking distance to the show.
You can buy show tickets online in advance (recommended due to the limited number of box offices onsite) and also on the Jamestown ferry itself.
- General admission tickets are $40 on the first (preview) day or $28 thereafter
- Children 12 and under are free
- Friday (Sep 16) Newport County residents and military personnel can purchase tickets for only $18 with ID
Start planning your show visit now
The atmosphere at this show is perfectly “boaty,” and is suitable for both sailors and powerboaters who want to revel in the nautical vibe. Accommodations book up fast so you may want to consider chartering a boat for a few days. Boatsetter has lots of day boating and overnight options in the Newport area but you’d better hurry if you want to stay aboard. And if you’re looking for a new boat to purchase, you can offset many of your ongoing costs by putting it into a peer-to-peer charter service which makes boat ownership so much easier.
Whether you come to buy a boat or gear, sample the amazing restaurants, soak up the atmosphere, or charter a boat for a last-of-summer New England outing, Newport is the place to be this September and the show is just the beginning.
Discover more boating events, shows, and festivals like this one!
Boatsetter is a unique boat-sharing platform that gives everyone — whether you own a boat or you’re renting — the chance to experience life on the water. You can list a boat, book a boat, or make money as a captain.
Own a boat? Let your boat pay for itself. List, rent, earn — Only at Boatsetter.