In the last decade, the marine industry has incurred a lot of great technology, especially in marine propulsion systems (the machinery pushing the boat forward).
Jet boats carrying jet-drive propulsion systems, have been around for a while but were recently readapted to befit in ski boats and smaller cruisers. What does this mean? More fun on the water for you.
Let’s take a closer look at this revolutionary marine machinery.
How Do Jet Boats Work?
Similar to the jet ski, jet boats take in water, then use an impeller driven by the inboard engine to force a high-pressure jet of water out through a “nozzle” at the back of the boat. The nozzle swivels from side to side, providing the ability to direct the high-pressure flow of water and turn the boat.
Benefits of Jet Boats
Jet boats have some major advantages over traditional propeller-driven vessels. Check out the benefits of cruising on a jet boat below:
- The impeller is housed in a tube, making it well-protected from rocks and other obstructions.
- Jet boats need much less water to operate in, making them great for shallow areas.
- The biggest problem owners often face is an impeller clogged with weeds.
- Jet boats work well in cold weather. You can boat without worry throughout winter.
First-time boaters have the benefit of peace of mind while learning to cruise, with jet boats.
Read more: Top 5 Boats for Beginners
Things to Keep in Mind
Before cruising on a jet boat, you should know the following:
- Jet boat engines may take up more space, reducing seating capacity.
- Jet boats often operate at higher RPMs, which means they consume more fuel.
- Jet boats are noisier than other boat types.
Here’s a quick Pro Tip before you go: For the best water skiing or wakeboarding experience, use a jet boat!
Read more: Top 5 Jetboat Picks 2022
Own a Jet Boat?
Who doesn’t love a safe and exhilarating thrill ride? Jet boats are speedy yet easy to operate; they are also the gateway for many popular water sports, which makes this boat type a fan favorite on Boatsetter. What are you waiting for? Rent out your jetboat today and earn an average of $20K annually.
Dive deep into the boating community and discover boat types, destinations, and on-the-water events at Boating Guides & Resources!
Boatsetter is a unique boat-sharing platform that gives everyone — whether you own a boat or you’re just renting — the chance to experience life on the water. You can list a boat, book a boat, or make money as a captain.