Coast Guard: Your weekly guide to local waters

Bowrider Boats

Half cabin boat followed into Rosslyn Bay Harbour by RV McDonalds. Photo: Buck Rogers.

Arthur Hunt

Here is your weekly coast guard report from the team on the Capricorn Coast.

– Coast Guard activities: School holidays, a long weekend and mostly good weather attracted many families onto the water. A number of the boats assisted had children on board and parents were relieved that their problems were resolved promptly by Coast Guard Yeppoon.

– Monday 27 September: Yeppoon Rescue One left Rosslyn Bay Harbour at 3.15 pm, skippered by Kingsley Bartle with crew Rob Wills, Darryl Purdie and Peter Thomasson, to return to Man and Wife Rocks where, on Sunday, a Flybridge Cruiser with two people on board had become entangled in a mooring buoy line which had become wrapped around the propellors. Keppel Dive attended and three divers cut the rope free. The Cruiser was able to motor back to Rosslyn Bay Harbour under its own power, shadowed by Yeppoon Rescue 1, returning

6.30 pm.

– Thursday 30 September: Marine Assist Rescue skippered by Bob Wills, with Mark Hardy, Michael McCormick and Peter Thomasson as crew, was called to assist a disabled Jet ski from Brisbane with one POB located at Putney Beach, Great Keppel Island. Marine Assist Rescue departed at 12.25pm, arrived on scene at 1pm and the jet ski was towed safely back to Rosslyn Bay Harbour at 2.20 pm.

– Friday 1 October: At 7.25 pm Marine Assist Rescue left the pontoon after receiving a call to provide transport for a mechanic and gear to a vessel with engine problems four miles north of Rosslyn Bay Harbour. The yacht with two people on board was visiting from Tasmania. Merv Studt (Skipper) and Leigh Deutscher delivered the mechanic and returned to Rosslyn Bay Harbour by 8.25 pm.

Saturday 2 October: A free Safety Boating course, conducted by Jim Goodsell in the morning, was attended by nine community members. Marine Assist Rescue, Merv Studt as the skipper, with Buck Rogers, Mark Hardy and Marjorie Roth as crew, was called out at 12.20 pm to assist a six-metre vessel broken down at Fisherman’s Beach Great Keppel Island with two adults and two children on board. The boater had been experiencing fuel problems but was able to get the motor started for the trip home, shadowed by Marine Assist Rescue, arriving 1.10 pm. The boat owner who was visiting Yeppoon, made a substantial donation to the Coast Guard.

At 1.55pm, Yeppoon Rescue One left Rosslyn Bay Harbour to attend a Marine Assist member whose Bowrider boat had broken down near Middle Island with five children and one adult on board. Skipper Merv Studt accompanied by Buck Roger, Michael McCormick, Leigh Deutscher and Matt Baldwin took the boat in tow but first insisted that all children be fitted with life jackets. The vessels returned at 3.15 pm.

– Sunday 3 October: Training exercises were held with Marine Assist Rescue and RV McDonalds participating in search and rescue, towing and rafting up between the two vessels. Skippers were David Smith and Merv Studt respectively. Soon after returning to base, Marine Assist Rescue was called out to a six-metre vessel which had broken down halfway between Egg Rock and Great Keppel Island. There were two adults and two children on board. Marine Assist Rescue, skippered by David Smith with crew Buck Rogers, Peter Thomasson, Matt Baldwin and Marjorie Roth, departed at 11.45 am, arrived on scene at 12.45 pm and returned to Rosslyn Bay Harbour at 1.55 pm. At 3.30 pm there was a request for assistance from a 6.5 metre half cabin boat just outside the entrance to Rosslyn Bay Harbour. It had contaminated fuel and was in danger of drifting onto the rocks. There were two adults and three teenagers on board. Marine Assist Rescue, skippered by David Smith with Raj Acharya, Michael Montanari and Leigh Deutscher all attended. RV McDonalds, skippered by Merv Studt with Buck Rogers as crew, was on hand to shepherd the vessel in through the mouth of the

harbor and negotiate the many boats returning from their trips in the glorious weather over the weekend. A strong wind had made things most uncomfortable and a lot of boaties were returning early. The assist was completed by 3.45 pm after which the

Coast Guard vessels were fueled up and closed down for the night.

Read More:Coast Guard: Your weekly guide to local waters

Articles You May Like

One found dead, two sailors rescued from capsized ship near Dokdo
Isle of Wight council to seize abandoned boats and dispose of them
Tourist influx in Kashmir increasing gradually after COVID-19 pandemic | Headlines
Realizing half a dream now
Swap Shop Items from Wednesday, October 20, 2021 – Shore Daily News